Medical examination is done prior to appointment on any government job. This post discuss medical tests performed for the posts of Medical officer, Drug Inspector, Pharmacist, Nurses, Technician, Ayush Doctors etc for central government and state government departments.
Similar tests are also conducted for other civilian posts like clerks, LDC, auditors, accountants, engineers, teachers, class D employees . In the end we will also give tips on how to prepare before the medical test.
Physical efficiency fitness tests such as running etc are required in security forces and allied services . This post will only discuss the medical tests and not the physical fitness tests like running etc.
Below is the list of Basic medical examinations performed before recruitment to paramedical and medical posts.
List Of Medical Tests
Height and Weight Measurement:
Minimum height and weight are taken generally at beginning of every medical examination. Medical and paramedical posts do not require minimum height etc but still this helps to keep the records and also to determine if the height weight ratio is normal. The candidate will be weighed and his weight is recorded in kilograms.
Urine test :
This test is simple test. Urine sample is taken to detect any abnormality. Takes 5 minutes.
Blood test before fasting and after fasting also done to detect any abnormal fall or rise in blood cells which happen during several diseases. This test can also be used to detect HIV.
Blood pressure is measured and noted in your medical examination. The Candidate should try not to get over stressed otherwise the doctor may ask more questions and may conduct further tests.
Simple Test for monitoring the activity of heart.
Lungs are checked with a stethoscope or spirometer. During test the doctor may ask you to breathe normally or at a faster rate.
Some departments conduct this test to rule out presence of the Diabetes Mellitus.
Ear, Nose and throat are checked by an ENT specialist to detect if they are functioning normally.
Candidates are required to read eye chart from a distance. eye chart have alphabets of different sizes . You need to read with one eye closed and both eyes open. If you are using Spectacles then you will be asked to read with and without spectacles.
For colour blindness you will be required to identify numbers written as coloured dots in coloured background. Please remember some pages have no alphabets.
X-ray and Ultrasound:
There is a chest X- ray to examine presence on abnormality in respiratory and skeletal system . Upper body ultrasound is being carried by doctor specially to check if the both kidneys are at right position.
Examination for Hernia:
Sometimes doctor only ask about if you have hernia, or he may examine you personally. This is the exam where some candidates need to remove some clothes.
To Do Tips Before Medical Test
- You do not need to panic if you do not have any serious disease or condition.
- Strict eyes standards are applicable only in security forces and related departments. The eyes standards are also strict for railways posts such as drivers, trackman, gateman, etc. Normal eyesight using spectacles is good enough for other jobs.
- Hygiene is very important for a medical exam for good impression. do not forget to take bath, your body nose ear etc should be clean.
- Shirt buttons and other hard things interfere in the x-ray. For x-ray prefer wearing T shirt , because it is not necessary to take it off.
- It is better if you take eye check up and blood pressure test before medical examination. it helps you to prepare for colour blindness test. and blood pressure test help you monitor your stress level.
- If you have any blood pressure problem start daily meditation in it calm environment immediately after your result. this will help you a lot in relieving stress.
- Sometimes you may need to take off some clothes. Like during ECG you may have to lift up upper clothes. Wear clean under – clothes and under garments during medical examination to avoid embarrassment.
Good Luck For the Joining 🙂